Monday, July 12, 2021

Week 13: 3 months on trail

7/6 Eagle's nest shelter 1211, passed a swimming hole with rope swings and chilly water

7/7 Eckville shelter 1235, could have gone to town, but pushed on after some hiker box magic. 

7/8 camped alone near Lehigh gap 1257, rainy night and rocky site

7/9 camped near stempa spring 1272, stopped for resupply and lunch in palmerton, rain at night, 

7/10 Wind Gap 1281, 3 months!, visited by my dad and spent some time in Delaware Water Gap

7/11 Campsite near Sunfish Pond 1301, New Jersey, passing 1300, Crossing the Delaware. Rainy night

7/12 Brink Shelter 1321, Tornado and flash flood warnings, foggy day 


Hot days out here in the beginning of the week, and so humid it was reducing visibility. I chose to set up my tent quickly on the 8th, in an attempt to beat the rain. I stayed dry, but ended up on top of some hidden rocks. At least I stayed dry. They call pennsylvania "Rock-sylvania" for a reason. 


From the last half of the week, I've had back to back rainy nights and wet mornings. The brush off water from plants along the trail is just as bad as being in the rain for my feet. I've gotten in a cycle of drying everything out in the sun during the day and getting it wet at night. 


I've been hiking most of the week ahead of the group I had been hiking with, and meeting more new people. I met someone walking from LA to NYC along roads. I met someone in palmerton who told me the whole town's history unprompted when I went into the diner for a breakfast that became a lunch. I met someone giving out trail magic in memory of her son, and a group that had been organizing trail magic for 21 years. I spent a long time learning about gear before the trail, but didn't realize how deep the community goes. I'm looking forward to meeting even more new people and getting to see even more small towns.

New York, and maybe Connecticut, Here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment