Monday, July 5, 2021

Week 12

6/28 Rocky Mtn shelters 1082, after a trip to Frederick MD for a new pack

6/29 Tom's Run shelter 1101

6/30 James Fry shelter 1112, half gallon challenge and a beach day!

7/1 camped outside Boiling Springs 1124, right by train tracks. Rainy day.

7/2 Cove Mountain Shelter 1146

7/3 Near-O in Duncannon 1149, hostel space in the back of an outfitter, went to a nearby carnival but fireworks didn't happen

7/4 camped by a spring 1167, cowboy camped

7/5 William Penn shelter 1192, came in without water for the prior 4 miles


The Official half-way point (and length) changes each year due to trail re-routes and bypasses. Harper's Ferry remains for many a more fixed spiritual/emotional half-way point, and that was true for me as well. It was only 72 miles away, but the river crossings and state lines seemed more significant than passing an unmarked 1096.5 milepoint. That's right, there was actually nothing marking it on trail. There was only a laminated printout from 2018 before it, and a wooden sign a decade or two old past it. More than any sign however, was the prospect of gorging myself full of ice cream the next day.

A long-standing tradition, the half gallon challenge takes place at Pine Grove general store, the nearest store with ice cream. I skipped breakfast, and only drank water for the three mile hike in (hard to not eat with hiker hunger screaming at me). I arrived with Triple H a few minutes before the store opened and were first in line to buy ice cream. We got the best selection. Tubs used to come in 2 quart size, but now a 3 pint tub and an extra pint are needed. I got a tub of strawberry, and a pint of mint chip to round it out. It was a warm sunny morning and I ate every bite of that ice cream. The first pint was still hard to scoop, and I was glad I had my own metal spoon brought 1100 miles just for this. Chips were a mistake. I started slowing down towards the end, but managed to finish in 31 minutes.

This week has been slower going, with many tempting reasons to take days off or lower milage. The half-gallon challenge really slowed me down for two days gastronomically alone. It knocked me out, and I took half a day afterwards just laying down on the floor of the store's patio. There was also a 14 mile stretch north of Boiling springs with no water or camping. I probably could have done another 5 or so miles, but got compressed back to staying near town before crossing it. At least I could make up for it by getting back to full pace leaving duncannon.

A group at the Duncannon hostel decided to go to a nearby fireworks show on saturday. It was being held at the next town over, and was right after a carnival. We managed to all fit in a car, and off we went. The carnival was small, but busy, with plenty of greasy food and a ferris wheel. Unfortunately, the fireworks company backed out, and the display was off. It began raining, so we headed back to the hostel.

Delaware Water Gap (and New Jersey) here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment