Friday, October 22, 2021

AZT week 4 (10/13 - 10/19)

10/13 390. Mineshaft, amazing views, met Solo at night, the sign, halfway!, different plants each mountain face including a bit of snow on a shaded side. 

10/14 413. Saw a sleeping tarantula next to me when I woke up. G-whiz caught up to me. Got some trail magic at the underpass. Met a trail crew. Saw pheonix at night. 

10/15 Roosevelt Lake 441. Long ridge road walk in the morning. Hiked past the four peaks. Pushed in to get some food. Ended up night hiking by moonlight. I could see the glow of the bridge and dock lights. Stealth camped behind a hiker area.

10/16 451. Took a while at the marina in the morning. Ate breakfast, charged my battery, bought resupply, and jumped in the lake. On trail, I saw some javelinas? and some cows. Passed another hiker. Unlike the AT where I had to look down to check my footing, on the AZT I have to look down to avoid spiked plants.

10/17 470. Saw a kingsnake, met a couple weekend backpackers, climbed Montana mtn, met a group of weekenders yelling to scare off an animal they thought was following them.

10/18 Superior 485, hitched in, went to a dollar general just as a shoplifter was leaving. Stayed with the trail angel MJ, who is amazing and one of the trip's highlights. 

10/19 zero in Superior, 3 other hikers showed up. Had some good BBQ, and good rest.

This week has been a lot of mountains, and cat-claw. Also some of the best views so far. Tucson here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment