Saturday, October 16, 2021

AZT week 3 (10/5 to 10/12)

10/5 235 + 5 urban trail. It was a rainy day, so I started late in leaving Flagstaff. I waited out most of the rain and left around 11. There was so much mud on the trail, and it started up raining again while I was hiking. I ended up pitching my tent under a tree on some relatively solid ground.

10/6 253, double springs campground near Mormon Lake. Sticky mud trodding most of the day. 

10/7 271, resupplied and re-charged at mormon lake. I was there for about 3 or 4 hours. Saw a lot of cows today. Probably saw coyote tracks too. Passed a hiker I knew. 

10/8 295, blue ridge campsite. met a nobo, drizzle at camp, camped at another closed campsite. Feels a bit strange to be the only one up here, but the water is still flowing. I still feel like I'm carrying too much food, and can improve my resupply. I still refuse to calorie count, and I appear to be maintaining weight (although, now that I mention it, I haven't been able to check for a while) 

10/9 321. Climbed down the mogollan rim, 300, saw a rattlesnake, shooting star

10/10 331 Pine/Strawberry. Short popular hike to town, split a motel room with another hiker. The motel had themed rooms, and ours was Duck Dynasty themed.  Played pool at the bar next door.

10/11 347. Slow start, hitched back to Pine for breakfast, and had too much coffee. Road walked back a mile to the trailhead. Continued to go down in elevation. Much thornier brush to walk past. Water still frequent. At night it was drizzling a bit, and very windy. I saw a bunch of beetles, scorpions, and a big stickbug walking over my tent. The wind almost knocked my tent over a few times, and I didn't get much sleep. 

10/12 Chilson camp 370. Started with a descent to the East Verde River, and then a 3000 ft ascent to my first ridge of the Mazatzals. I crossed over, and was inside the range. The AZT isn't a ridge trail here, and mostly stayed to the west of the high ridges going north/south. There were several flowing springs, and amazing views. Stopped for a water break and a small nap. The trail was overgrown in a few places, but mostly easy to follow. There was an unmarked switchback, and I had to bushwack my way past it. Camped at a nice flat area. As I was eating dinner I heard an animal making sounds. I saw it from a medium distance, but couldn't fully identify it. Maybe a cat, or fox. Pointed ears and a black fuzzy tail. I haven't seen anyone else since Pine, but there are a lot of side trails through here that look like nice day hikes and overnights. 


I finally got off the plateau this week, which was a welcome change of pace. The trail has been flying by, and I'm almost halfway done. Superstition Mountains, here I come!

rejoining the equestrian route



No comments:

Post a Comment