Monday, August 30, 2021

Week 20

8/22 Hiker Hut 1973, easy 10 mile hike into town. Decided to zero at a hostel a quarter mile off the trail. The hostel is off the grid, and has standalone shower, kitchen, garden, and portapotty. Lighting is solar powered flashlights. No phone service, but I can get reception and a charge in town.

8/23 Hiker Hut 1973, complete zero day. I ate a pizza in Rangely, and finally got a haircut. Hostel filled up, and I took a nice nap. 

8/24 Spaulding Mountain Lean-to 1991. amazing views from the horn, above treeline. Some slippery climbs but clear weather. Good crowd at the shelter. 

8/25 Hostel of Maine in carrabassett valley 2005. Crocker range. 2000 miles! Italian restaurant nearby. A nice converted B+B that had a dog.

8/26 Little Bigelow Lean-to 2020, amazing views from the last climbs above treeline till Katahdin. I tried to see it in the distance, but it was too hazy in between. Got a hitch to trail after road walking for a mile. 

8/27 Pierce Pond Lean-to 2038, stopped early to be on time for the ferry tomorrow. Packed shelter, as I ran into a large bubble of hikers. Flatter hiking with rooty footing. Stopped at a lake to wade/soak my feet. 

8/28 Bald Mtn Brook Lean-to 2057. Amazing pancake breakfast. Canoe ferry across the Kennebec River. Shower, charge, and resupply from the Stirling Inn in Caratunk. 

8/29 Shaw's Hostel in Monson 2078, fast flat day along a stream. Tenting at the hostel, and I'm going to take my last zero here tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment