Thursday, April 8, 2021

3rd Time's the Charm

 I'm at it again.


Planning to start at April 1st 2021 +/- a few days.

To recap, my first attempt in 2019 was called off for a broken knee and I delayed a 2020 attempt due to covid-19. I was able to get a BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine in January, and there's nothing in my way now but about 2200 miles of trail. I'm planning for a full NoBo hike, and still plan to start out on my own. I'm in Colorado now. In a few weeks I'll put my stuff into storage, drive my car to Maryland, and hop on a plane to Georgia

I've had enough time to get ready over the past 3 years, but I'm still making last month decisions about my gear. Most of it has stayed the same; here's what's changed and changing.

Gear Updates
  • Decided to bring a small knife instead of a small multi-tool. Easier to use with cold hands.
  • Updated 1st aid kit (still need to get accurate weights).
  • The water sack popped a leak, so I replaced it.
  • Added my CSS cap, and pulled the sunglasses, although I might only need that in the summer. 
  • Decided to keep the ursack for now. I don't know about this one. My family already had the regular size, but I might need to get the larger one to fit all my grub. (15 L, 8.8 oz vs 10.6 L, 7.6 oz). Some people are recommending a liner bag to keep the smells inside.
  • My buff will double as a mask. I'll be bringing a buff, pack towel, and a bandanna to start. considering skipping the bandanna if the hat flap takes over for it. Maybe I'll go the other way and get a lighter cap and bandanna for the summer?
  • Took away sleep mask, going to use the buff for that.
  • Decided to start without shorts, maybe for the summer.
  • Added a bottle for cooking oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment